BIG NEWS on our 10 year anniversary - A letter from our founders ❤️
Here we are popping into your inbox on the 10th anniversary of when we first pressed go - on our online store, to deliver some big & exciting news with you!
We have always been committed to providing you, our customers with the best possible experience. To continue delivering on this promise, we have made some changes to our business model, to benefit everyone; you, our business & the planet.
The past 3 years have been challenging, to say the least, not just for us as a business, but for everyone. Life as we knew it has been turned on its head, some for the good and some for the not-so good. Our priorities and needs have changed, the way we live, entertain, work, and shop has all changed.
With these changes came a realisation for us that we as a business also needed to change.
We along with so many other retailers have found ourselves on SALE often - way too often! Those of you that have been on team Harlow since the beginning will know that pre-2020 we rarely went on sale, so these constant sales have hurt us, financially and soulfully. Having excess stock has hit our bottom line, but it’s not just about that. We feel that we have been letting you down. Our customers that back us by buying our pieces on launch at full price, then seeing the items they have purchased at a fraction of the launch price months later, feels wrong. Having excess stock that we then have to sell off to make ends meet feels criminal. Let alone the fact that we are encouraging over-consuming, and that doesn’t sit well with us.
Our words for 2023 were PAUSE & RENEW & over the past 5 months we have been workshopping ways we could move forward with those words front & center, that would sit right with our ethics, be beneficial to our customers and work for us professionally, and personally.
The answer for us was to move into a pre-order model, a model that is better for ALL involved.
Over-production in fashion is one of the world’s biggest environmental threats and we do not want to add to this problem. With our pre-order system, we can predict demand levels accurately and produce only the number of units that we anticipate selling.
Our first pre-order offer is a curation of carefully considered and created garments, pieces that will act as building blocks to obtain what we’re calling an “urban capsule wardrobe” pieces you can mix and match with your current Harlow & also add to over the years to make the ultimate wardrobe you love and love to wear. This collection comprises of 3 drops, starting with our first PREORDER launch of 3 fabulous trench coats on Sunday, March 19.
Since Harlow launched 10 years ago, our apparel has been manufactured in Australia, and this has continued to be vital to us. Throughout the years we have forged valuable partnerships with our manufacturers to ensure prime labour conditions and to continually enhance the quality of our pieces.
This season all our pieces are made in Melbourne by small family-run and longstanding Melbourne manufacturer CGT or knitted in the Yarra Valley using Merino wool by the innovative and sustainable Make & Hatch.
By manufacturing locally, we can keep the wait time for pre-orders to just 4-6 weeks, a small wait for a more sustainable way of working.
How does it work, in a nutshell
- A week prior to the PREORDER opening we will have the product page set up, with images and product details, to help you make an informed decision. During this time, we will also filter through our “Take a closer look” & “How Style” episodes for each product launch. There will be a Notify me button for you to input your email address if you wish to be notified the moment PREORDER.
- PREORDER will be open for 7 days, during this time you receive a 10% discount & get to secure your size, in our limited run.
- PREORDERS close after 7 days – we manufacture to order.
- PREORDER discount offers ends.
- “Expressions of Interest “open during the manufacturing process for any stock we may have been able to cut in addition to the pre-order orders and any exchange/returns.
- GET EXCITED your Limited Edition Harlow piece is on its way to you!
- We will reserve any extra inventory from our production cycle solely for pre-order exchanges for a period of 7 days. Following this, the remaining stock will be offered for purchase as an in-stock item.
Need more info? Check out our FAQ page, and if you can’t find the info you’re looking for, hit reply on this email and we will be happy to answer any question you may have.
We hope you are excited as we are that we have found a BETTER WAY to do business
We are excited to have you join us on this journey. Our mission is to offer fashion that not only makes you look and feel good but also empowers you to make a positive impact on the planet through your fashion choices.
We look forward to sustainably bringing Harlow to your wardrobes with consideration and care for the next 10 years.
Happy Anniversary to us,
Leave a comment